Abandoned Railroad

The Eagle Lake and Umbazooksus Railroad was built in 1925-1926 and hauled 125,000 cords of pulpwood each year from Eagle to Umbazooksus Lake. The remains of the two giant oil-burning steam locomotives, which made the round trip between the lakes every three hours, are a startling sight as they stand near the shore of Eagle Lake.

The Tramway

The original cable tramway was built in 1902-1903 to transport logs from Eagle Lake to Chamberlain Lake, a distance of three-quarters of a mile. At peak production, a half-million board feet of logs were handled in a single day